Saturday, February 1, 2014

Back to the Mission

I have wanted to go back to my mission for years.  We go on plenty of exotic trips so it wasn't really that that I was looking for, more just the nostalgia of being back, seeing the same places, eating the food I fantasize about and maybe seeing some of the people I love.  Since Kelli's husband, Dana, also served in the exact same mission it seemed almost meant to be.  And my parents are always looking for somewhere warm to go and escape from the Chicago winters so we made it a group trip.
First stop:  The Monument of the Restoration Heroes
This is the only place I ever went on a Pday as a missionary tourist.  It's really the ONLY place you can go.  It's a big tall building on top of the biggest hill right in the middle of downtown.
The 360 degree views are pretty amazing.
And we of course decided to climb the stairs to the top which I hadn't done as a missionary.
And the views were even better.
And there were cool Carnival costumes on display around the top room.
We just happened to book our trip for the weekend before Carnival and even though we didn't stay to see it (we're not that crazy) we did get to see some of the build up.

Taylor was all excited to use TripAdvisor to help us find the best local restaurants.  First up- a random stage coach western style restaurant.  Not really authentic but good.

No comments: