Friday, March 5, 2010

My Recent Projects

On one of the Christmas posts I mentioned that Taylor's brother had recently gotten engaged and that they were planning to have quite an intense "destination" wedding. Intense being weddings in both London and Dubai including 2 separate civil ceremonies, 1 temple ceremony, 1 reception, and at least 1 luncheon. And all this scattered over just 4 days. Anyone know a better word than intense???
In January our plan was to survive this by just bringing Miles along and he was only coming because he's still nursing. But after a few heartfelt requests from family members we agreed to bring Ethan and Isaac along as well. Yes I know, I probably should be committed to an insane asylum for thinking we can handle this. It'll make for a great blog though. See? I'm trying to be positive.
In planning for the many non-child friendly events as well as the very MANY and very LONG plane flights, I saw someone's blog where they had created a little playmat with one road and little sleeves for the cars to fit in. Then you could take the whole thing, roll it up with the cars inside and have a neat little complete plaything. I decided to take it a step further and add houses, driveways, a gas station, and even a little park. I just used felt so nothing frays and it was actually pretty fast and easy. The boys LOVED it so I made a second one so they don't have to share. Normally I encourage sharing but I'm planning to just survive this trip so forget that.The stitching underneath was pretty ugly so I found this cute fabric that serves to cover that up as well as it's a whole new playmat when they get bored of the other side. I've already tested it out a few times and it works FABULOUSLY. By fabulous I mean it entertains my children for long stretches of time without my being involved. Isaac played with just the car mat and a few cars and some people for over an hour at the doctors office. Which was very helpful since Miles kept trying to roll off the exam table so I couldn't really watch Isaac.

Both Ethan and Isaac are currently obsessed with action figures of any kind. I got a pack of army men from a dollar store and they literally played with them for 3 days straight. Isaac is hilarious making them scream in pain and talk to each other.
Michaels craft store has little tubes of all sorts of figures so I grabbed a bunch and then decided to make playmats for them to use with them. First I made little bags to keep all their figures in and then started in on the actual mats.
Here's the pirate mat complete with the little guys.
And a shot without the guys. I couldn't resist doing waves with the fun stitch my sewing machine makes. Taylor suggested I add an X with a little zipper pouch underneath so you could literally bury treasure and hide things. Sounds fun. Tragically the back was already sewn on so I can't add that. Next time.

Both the car mat and the pirate mat seemed logically best done in 2-D. I was a little more stumped on the knights and dragons. In the end I made mountains with "caves" for the dragons and a 3 sided castle that mostly stays up. Ethan's favorite part is the drawbridge that does with a little luck stay up as well as lie flat.
And a shot with the dragons and knights. I got my ideas by looking at online sites that sell playmats. They're uber-expensive so I'm glad these turned out. Definitely worth the time. And I also looked online to get the dimensions of an airplane tray table so these fit perfectly.

Just more views (these are really just included for Kristina's benefit).

Again I found cute fabrics for the backs of them. And I used another fun stitch to make the trees. My boys won't be impressed but I am. And I don't really care if they're impressed as long as they spend HOURS playing with them on the airplane.

4 comments:

Necia said...

Sarah, You are amazing! And inspiring..but I still don't think I could pull those off! :) Maybe if I try hard I could try to make one or two for our trip this summer...not that we'll be on the plane quite as long as you. Good luck!

Nikki said...

Those look really fun!!. What is the website you got your ideas's from, did they have any princess playmats. If I get adventureous I may try.!!

Kristina said...

You're amazing! I felt so proud to see my name on your post:) I'm going to try and make them... try being the key word.

Tiana said...

You are amazing!! Seriously. Very cool.