Sunday, July 29, 2012

Our 9th Anniversary

Our anniversary this year was a perfect accident of greatness.  We weren't really planning to do anything with a 2 month old in tow and definitely not much with our usual babysitters out of the country.  We really didn't even think about it until July when Taylor's sister sent out a list of the concerts her parents have tickets to and would miss since they were gone.  Did we want some?  Mostly, not, sadly.  Red Butte Concerts are fun and GREAT people watching with a very NON-traditional Utah crowd, but not a good place to take kids.  But amazingly, 2 nights before our actual anniversary, Al Green was coming to Red Butte.  He just happens to have written and sings OUR song.  It was too perfect!  We couldn't pass up the chance to hear him sing it live!
We found a last minute babysitter (thanks Heather! so nice to have family around) and headed off with Taylor's sister and her husband- and Isla in tow(who was fabulous and slept most of the time).  We LOVE Utah evenings.  It's instantly cool if you're in the shade so we brought a picnic dinner and hung out listening to the opening act.
Then it was time for Mr. Al Green himself.  He was A-mazing!  And for his last song he sang "Let's Stay Together" and even though I woke Isla up so I could stand up and dance with my hubby, it was absolutely perfect.  So fun to sing along and dance and remember 9 fabulous years together!
After the concert we picked up our kids and then left them with Barbara and Clint for Friday night and most of Saturday.
For my anniversary present to Taylor, I compiled and printed up our blog entries.  The first book covered all our time in DC and then I ended up making a book for each year since there were so many entries.  Taylor loved it of course and I'm glad we finally have hard copies of all the amazing experiences we've had these past years.
Making it was actually really easy as there's lots of websites that will "slurp" up all the entries and even make a table of contents for you.  Then I just had to edit things a bit.  So fun to read back through and remember things I had forgotten.
I LOVE seeing the cute pictures of my kiddos and being reminded of the amazing people we've known and places we've been.  It makes me glad I took the time to write about not just the big events but the small things like making snowmen in DC with snow off the trunk of our car.  Good times!
Maybe the best part has been that these books have become instant favorites of my kids.  I frequently find them reading them and they love to point themselves out.  Miles still refuses to believe any of his baby pictures are actually him.  In fairness they do look like Isla in her current form.
In the end an easy way to do our family history for a non-crafty scrapbooker like me.  And if (when) they get destroyed from overreading and little grubby boy hands, we'll just print another!

No comments: