Saturday, April 23, 2011

Temple Quarry Hike

The one thing my dad requested we do while he was here in Utah was to take a hike. Normally in April this is a fabulous activity as the weather is warm and the flowers are blooming. But this year we're feeling like we need to build an ark and start collecting animals with all this rain. So when it came to hiking, the options were very limited- especially with kids who'd have a hard time tromping up hills in mud so we opted for the only paved hike I know of: The Salt Lake Temple Quarry Hike.

The second we let them out of the car, my boys were off to the races. Okay at least Ethan and Isaac were. Miles found himself a stick and then dawdled the rest of the time trying to stick it places and drag it around.
And while we were out in the beautiful outdoors, my mom decided to finally snap some pictures of my boys since I've been negligent and not sent her enough. :) This one's not a character is he?

And this one's about the sweetest big brother I know.

Of course my dad couldn't resist climbing the towering rocks and my kids got to join in on the scary fun.

They're WAY up there in case you can't see. Luckily I'm not afraid of heights and am a very trusting mother so it didn't bother me at all.

After enough dawdling, Taylor picked up Miles so he could keep up with us. Miles promptly stuck his fingers into Taylor's ears and started saying "nah, nah, nah, nah, nah" Yep, he's picked up on that from Ethan who adds "you can't hear me" to the end. Totally hilarious when Miles does it.

We didn't even walk a mile but Isaac got himself a piggyback ride with my dad.




If you're in Salt Lake and need a paved hike, this is it. There are neat markers along the path explaining how the rocks were carved out and then transported down to the temple sight.


Someday we'll do it again and the boys will be more impressed with the history surrounding them than all the towering rocks, but for now, their love of rocks is enough.

As we climbed in our cars to go home Isaac exclaimed "this was the BEST adventure EVER!" And I agree. Super easy and fun. We need to spend more time outside if it ever stops raining.

No comments: