Monday, April 11, 2011

No Nuts for me!

So Guess who else is allergic to nuts in our house? Yep, that would be this poor little blondie. Several times over the past few months we've woken up and found Ethan in his little corner of the toy room sitting on his tiny couch reading books. What a wonderful kid I thought! He's up early which is fine since he's quiet and he's even reading books to himself. So when he later asked if he could get himself a snack in the morning if he was up early and hungry I said yes. And later discovered that his snack of choice was mixed nuts- which most of the time he ate all of them but sometimes they fell behind the couch or under a book. We knew this because Isaac has brought them to us to throw out (thankfully he's old enough to know what nuts are and that he shouldn't eat them). And so we've had lots of discussions with Ethan about the danger of nuts to Isaac. And so Ethan's been more careful. Unfortunately, on Monday I woke up with the cleaning itch and decided to dive into my spring cleaning. So I moved and vacuumed under the toy room couch and of course I was followed the whole time by one little blondie who wanted to pick up and play with everything I was moving. Somehow in the shuffle of things I think he found (and ate) a nut before I found it. He was throwing up less than an hour after I'd started but of course I didn't realize what had happened (I just thought he had the flu) until hours later when he woke up with this wicked rash and then was able to keep down 2 bottles and 5 pieces of toast. He was very insistent that's what he wanted. So not the flu if you just throw up twice in quick succession and then end up with a crazy rash. I may not be the sharpest mom out there unfortunately. He never had trouble breathing though which is the same with Isaac's allergy, they both seem to throw up, then swell up. Poor things. Thankfully there's Benadryl. And thankfully it works!
He was fine and running around, rash and everything gone within a few hours of the Benadryl. Breaks your heart to see him like this though.

No comments: