Thursday, December 16, 2010

On the First Saturday of Christmas

Taylor and I come from very different families and in no way is this more apparent than in gift giving. In my house, birthday presents came last- at the end of the day, after dinner and dishes, after cake and singing and everything else. They were always worth the wait and I actually still enjoy the anticipation of opening a gift sometimes more than having it (okay and I'll even admit I did just yesterday squeeze and shake and feel the wrapped present my mom mailed to us to see if I could guess what's inside- I know I'm crazy). Taylor would have instantly opened those presents. In his house, birthday presents came first- before breakfast, before school, before cake or singing or anything. So it drives him crazy to have presents hanging around the house unopened.
Because we travel every Christmas, when and where to open presents has been a constant dilemma. This year Taylor was happy when I came up with a compromise and so was born "the 3 Saturdays of Christmas". It just sort of worked out that way because we're giving the kids 3 sets of presents (2 of which weren't coming on the trip anyways) plus my sister Kelli, my parents, and then Taylor's family make up 3 distinct groups of present givers.

So last Saturday we opened our first set. And it was a huge hit. They each only received 2 presents so they spent a lot of time oohing and ahhing and playing with each one instead of getting so many they forgot about things. Kelli and Dana sent them great books. Can you see how in love with books Miles is? Book is one of his top 5 words right now.
And then we gave them games for their first set of presents from us. In Taylor's family, Sundays were always family days and he remembers fondly spending time with his siblings. In keeping with that tradition but also in keeping the Sabbath holy we're trying to start an "at-home" family day of games. Taylor collects all kinds of strategy games and now these little boys are becoming game collectors too. It's fun to get together Sunday night after all the dishes are done and play a game or too. They love it and so do we!

No comments: