Saturday, April 26, 2014

Ethan turns 9!

I can hardly believe this little guy is 9.  It's gone so fast and he's grown into such a wonderful boy in so many ways.  Last summer I let the kids earn an allowance by doing jobs around the house- both cleaning and learning.  I told them I'd match whatever money they made if they saved it for something they really wanted.  Ethan has been obsessed with Taylor's ipad and he instantly knew what he wanted to save for.  He was diligent in getting his stuff done all summer and then in the fall even when I'd matched his large sum and it wasn't enough, I told him if he would work on being responsible this school year we'd buy him one for his birthday in April.  What an improvement.  The year before he lost 3 lunch boxes and 2 jackets and countless homework assignments were late or missing.  This year he worked really hard and I'd say was 95% perfect.  So bright and early on his birthday he knew just what to expect.  His own ipad (which I saved a little money on by getting on Black Friday) and since I'm so proud of him he got an iTunes card as well so he can pick out his own games.
There had to be a few other normal birthday presents too.
And a new toy for his party this afternoon.
But really the focus was all on this much awaited new toy.  Too bad for him his access to it is limited by me and based upon him still continuing to be responsible with jobs and homework and really anything I want him to work on at the moment.  Kind of unfair but nice to have something easy to motivate him with.
And Sunday for Family dinner grams got him an ice cream cake and sparkler candles.  You can hardly see but they say E and 9.
And they sparkle.  What a fun grandma.

No comments: