Saturday, November 10, 2012

A perfect birthday

Taylor likes to tease me about how important Mother's Day and my birthday are to me.  He pretends to not remember which day they are.  He thinks he's funny.  At least I know he's faking and truly understands my reasoning.  My life as a mother is currently almost exclusively devoted to my children and husband.  I may find an extra half hour during the day for myself but usually I'm cleaning up after them, feeding them, shopping for them, planning for them, dressing them, bathing them, etc, etc, etc, etc.  Can I add a few more etceteras since there really are so many more things I do for them each day. So when the 2 days a year roll around that are just a little bit more about ME than my family, I'm pretty excited.  Don't get me wrong I still cook and clean, dress and feed children, but I can at least expect to do a little less of those things.
This year my birthday ended up being on a Saturday which was just heavenly.  My kids let me sleep in a little and then couldn't wait any longer to show me their surprise.  They got up early and spent their time downstairs setting up a play food picnic breakfast for us.  Look how excited they are to do something for their mommy.
Ice cream and strawberry milkshakes for breakfast.  I can live with that!
Isla was happy with her fake chicken drumstick.
After breakfast and after contemplating what I'd like to do with my day since Taylor offered me freedom to go or stay or do whatever I'd like, I decided what I really wanted was to go out in the fresh foot of snow outside and play with my boys.  We literally didn't get even a foot of snow last year the whole winter.  So when we had over a foot already in just 1 day in November, it was time to enjoy it.
Miles helped me make a fort while Ethan and Isaac built their own.
And sometimes got bored and would rather shovel.
And then the giant snowball fight began.







Ethan and Isaac were persistent with their attack and finally Miles and I gave up our stronghold.
Then we all went inside for hot chocolate and snacks.
I did spend the afternoon peacefully shopping with just myself and Isla and we ate out for dinner which was fun.  I really do love being a mom and am very happy to devote my time, energy, and life to these amazing little people.  And it warms my heart that they want to be with me too.  Taylor, bless his soul, did get me a few great birthday gifts but what I'll really remember in the future is that during the weeks leading up to my birthday he listened to me when I complained and found ways to fix the things that were bugging me.  And being taken care of by him makes it so much easier for me to happily take care of him and our children in return.

No comments: