Friday, June 10, 2011

This is the place- at least for an hour or two

I admit it, I'm cheap. It's not a secret if you know me at all. So when free day rolls around once a year at This is the Place Heritage park, we go. Yes, the crowds are intense, yes we wait a little longer than normal, but really I don't think my boys are quite old enough to really learn about pioneers yet or get much out of visiting there so it's not worth spending the money. But it is worth a few hours once a year because some of the activities are right up their little boy alleys and they love them.
Activity #1: Ride the train around the park. Come on. What boy doesn't love riding a train!

They're not on real tracks and they don't even say "choo choo" but somehow my boys didn't care. Good fun for 20 minutes- check!

Activity #2 Free ice cream. Yes, I said free. Free admission also includes free ice cream. Yum! You may have noticed I dressed them all in red. That was my little strategy to be able to spot them in a crowd and know which were mine easily. It worked well since lots of times when I was waiting in line for an activity, they were off running somewhere- not far, but it was nice to easily spot them all.

And yes, we LOVED the ice cream. Miles got especially peeved each time I tried to help him clean up the sides of his dripping cone with my own tongue. Definite invasion of his personal property- and he let me know. Heck, he let the whole park know he was not please with my intrusions. This is as close a shot as I could get of him licking it. So cute, but that tongue was too fast for my camera.

Activity #3 Ride the miniature train around the duck pond. Unfortunately mom had to ride along to make sure Miles wouldn't stand up and fall out during the ride so no pics for you.

Activity #4 Explore the ship. This is some kind of replica of a ship some of the Utah pioneers sailed on and a perfect example of why someday I will pay for admission. Someday I will want my boys to learn more about pioneers and understand their sacrifices. Someday it will be neat to explore this ship and tell them stories and sit and have meaningful lessons. But today was not that day. Today was for climbing and exploring and feeling like a pirate.


Activity #5 Pan for gold and trade it for a lollipop. Wading in the river in search of little colored rocks. Again, could we find a more perfect boy activity.

So for 3 hours on a warm summer day I'd say we got our money and times worth!

No comments: