Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Fun with Fondant

A few summers ago when I was feeling like I needed a little enrichment in my life, I found and took a basic cake making and decorating class at Michaels craft store. It was SO much fun! And I learned a lot which I've used over the years mostly for birthday cakes. I've always been in awe a little though of fondant cakes. They just look so perfect. But I hate the way it tastes and thought it was a waste of money if you weren't going to eat it, so I never got around to taking the fondant class they also offer.
Until this year! I decided I'd take the plunge. And it has been SO much fun too! And I take back all my thoughts about it not being worth it.
You learn how to cover cakes in fondant and how to make flowers and bows and lots more. For the second week we brought in a cake and then covered it there and decorated it with a bow. Can I just tell you how easy it really is- it's really like just playing with playdough, edible though.

For our last class we made another cake- round this time so we could learn how to cover a different shape. Here's my berry buttercream frosted, berry filled lemon cake all frosted and ready to be covered. So nice to not have to frost it perfectly!

And here's all the fondant flowers I made in advance, all ready to go!

Daisies- okay so they're blue since I was going for a 4th of July theme here.

Calla Lilies.

Carnations (Taylor's favorites- he likes the red tips- want to know the trick? Brush your sticky water on the petals and then brush on non-toxic crayola chalk. What? My kids eat chalk all the time, apparently it counts as edible- and it's pretty.)

And roses of course.

And here's the finished project- ready to be eaten in...5 days :) Can't wait for the 4th!

I'd take this class again in a heartbeat. It's so nice to have a few hours to be with adults, talking about non-kid things, and learning at the same time. And now I feel like I know at least the basics and can learn the rest from you-tube. Up next: star gazer lilies. Seriously though, where are all my daughters so I can make flower cakes??? Oh well, I'll just make army men and airplanes instead- just as fun and just as easy with fondant!

Tragically we don't have a birthday in the family for 4 more months! Anyone nearby need a cute cake???

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Oh you said nearby. Your cakes are beautiful!

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

WOW! I love that cake. Sarah, you are so talented.