Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"Parenting"

Eons ago when we just had Ethan, I once overheard Taylor telling one of his friends that he couldn't join them for some activity because I was going somewhere and so he had to "babysit" Ethan. Okay so maybe I overreacted to him using that term. Taylor will tell you I did. But really, do I "babysit" all day? Is that my job now? So Taylor and I have settled on the term "parenting" for better or for worse.
While Miles has been a great baby so far, he is still a newborn and so there are still lots of sleep-less nights. Most nights he's been sleeping 3 or 4 hour stretches. I love the 4 hour stretches! But to help me get a little more continuous sleep, I have been going to bed between 7:30 and 8:30 each night and Taylor has been staying up with Miles and giving him his next feeding. This makes it so I can usually sleep until 2 or 3am and I can survive the next day on 6 hours of sleep if needed. It's been wonderful. And Miles really has been good the rest of the nights too, usually he eats at 2 or 3 and then will go back to sleep until 5 or 6. He does another sleep cycle usually so I would be able to sleep until 9 except that Ethan and Isaac want breakfast and then the day has begun. Thankfully Miles is happy to just eat at night and then go right back to sleep (barring the times when he makes a mess and changing him wakes him up or else he gets the dreaded hickups which guarantee we'll be awake another hour waiting for them to stop and him to calm down- he REALLY hates hickups!).
So we're all doing well and surviving with just a little sleep-deprivation. And don't let Taylor tell you he's got it rough. That's him playing golf on the Wii and rocking Miles to sleep one handed. Hey, whatever works and let's me sleep!

1 comment:

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

That's a great system you guys have worked out! Taylors pretty talented, multi-tasking like that. : )