Sunday, October 18, 2009

Can they love him TOO much? Sometimes

Ethan and Isaac are 2 3/4 years apart and I have loved that spacing. Ethan was old enough to be gentle with Isaac and also to be helpful and fetch things for me while I was nursing- like my cell phone or the TV clicker. Very nice! He was also understanding of the times I couldn't jump up to get him a drink or play on the floor with him. He never seemed to resent him and was always very loving and attentive even bringing him toys to "play" with as a newborn. He was even understanding of me being pregnant and happy to watch a few extra cartoons if I desperately needed a nap or was feeling ill.
The spacing between Isaac and Miles is just 22 months and it's been a little harder. Isaac has had a harder time entertaining himself if I'm ill and threw several fits when I finally said no more sitting on my lap to read books (since he didn't fit and it was painful to try). It hasn't helped that Isaac doesn't talk much so interpreting his screams, grunts, and points can be frustrating. I have to admit it worries me a little to see how he reacts next week after my mom leaves and he feels real neglect while I'm nursing or taking care of the baby. I am very hopeful that he'll want to be helpful instead of jealous.
For now, the only problem is that he loves him TOO much! Not really a problem, but more of a complication. With both Ethan and Isaac, I could just set them on the couch or even the floor and they were perfectly safe. Ethan never tried to pick up Isaac. Isaac isn't quite to that point so I've had to lay Miles down and strap him in to the swing or the bouncy chair or he's likely to get pulled out. And he's more likely to get wiplash in the swing than be rocked to sleep if Isaac is anywhere nearby.
I did let them both sit on the couch and "hold" him on the boppy and now it's become a habit every time Miles wakes up from a nap.
Isaac spends the whole time saying "hi" and petting him.
Ethan likes holding him but is much more excited to bring him toys and read him books.
Miles doesn't appreciate it yet... but someday he will.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Don't worry too much about the jealousy thing. If it happens it will be short lived, from my experience, having several kids closer than 2 years appart, they don't really get too jealous, and they are easily adaptable. He may try to jump on you when nursing, but after a few times it won't be a problem. Claire is 3 so I hope that she is not too jealous, or rather that she is helpful like Ethan was. Don't worry you'll be fine. Call me if you need to talk, I had a rough transition from 2 to 3 kids, hopefully yours is easy!