Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Kitchen Reunion 2009- Somerset, PA

Since all 6 of my siblings and I live in different states (Taylor tells me Provo is a state unto itself), my parents try to get us together at least once a year for a big family reunion. When I say big I mean lots of people and lots of crazyness. 13 adults and 11 kids plus 2 on the way. My mother has been kind enough to rent big cabins each time so we're not outside in tents. Still craziness with only 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms but lots of fun.
So this year she picked Somerset, PA. This allowed almost everyone with kids to drive in. We stayed almost a full week and packed each day with lots of food and activities. Our spouses always make fun of how much my mom plans but how else are you going to make things run smoothly with this many people. While the women were cooking dinner and out of this picture, we entertained the kids with playdough.
And we let my mom enjoy a little time with 1 month old Joseph. She kept laughing because he kept scooting further and further down her side.
It was cousin Claire's 3rd birthday the first day so we all got to enjoy pink piggy cupcakes.
How adorable are they? Claire is obsessed with both pink and pigs so they were perfect!
Taylor had missed a lot of work for the BAR so he only got to come for the last few days of the trip. The first night everyone scattered to go put kids to bed. Normally our boys are perfect. We put on pajamas, read a story, say a prayer, give hugs and kisses, and the lights are out and my job is done for the night. I'm very grateful for that. Unfortunately, the first night we were there, I forgot that Pennsylvania is 2 hours ahead of Utah so even though Ethan took no nap and Isaac should have been exhausted from all the swimming and playing with cousins, and it was their normal 7:30 bedtime, really it was only 5:30 to them. Let's just say they were a little uncooperative. To the point that Isaac would come running out of the room laughing, wanting me to chase him around- mind you that Isaac cannot open doors so I knew Ethan had opened it for him and told him to do it. So in my desperation I threatened Ethan with a nap the next day and since there is no reasoning with Isaac, and he is fully capable of climbing out of his pack and play by himself, I finally had the genius idea to flip the pack and play upside down on top of him. I will admit I'm glad this blog is private so no one from Social Services will come knocking on my door and I do feel somewhat guilty for doing it- BUT IT WORKED! With no one to play with, Ethan finally calmed down and went to sleep, and Isaac thought he was trapped so he layed down (what else could he really do) and went to sleep. This ended up being our routine the whole vacation and I don't know what I would have done without it.
Isaac spent most of his time playing with his cousin Robert who is just 4 months older. Notice that if Robert is sitting in a little camp chair with a sippy cup, I have to have my cup and sit in a chair too.
The hot tub on the deck was a big hit with all the kids too. Tragically pregnant ladies can't be in the hot tub so I had to miss out on all the fun and splashing. Darn!
But I did get to help out with the marshmallow roasting and eating. Ethan was a little wary of the fire if you can't tell.
But he loved roasting marshmallows and wanted to make smores over and over again. Of course being the strange child that doesn't really like sweets, he took one bite and then didn't want to eat anymore. Of course he still wanted to roast more and make them, just not eat them.
Isaac wasn't interested in the fire at all and was often oblivious to it which was a little scary. He was in high heaven to receive graham crackers from grandma though and he ate almost an entire bag himself. What? he says. You got a problem with that?
After graham crackers feasting, he discovered this little grouping of rocks and he proceeded to climb/walk on them for the next hour. I'm sure my dad's presence helped discourage this craziness.
The trip really was more relazing than I thought it would be. Mostly because there were so many kids that they entertained each other (having a basement to send them to helped a lot too) and they really got along pretty well. Yeah for cousins! Wish we lived closer!

No comments: