Friday, January 11, 2013

Gandalf the Blizzard

Last winter my kids didn't get to go sledding even once which is weird since we live right next to the mountains, but it honestly didn't do more than flurry the entire winter and I was too pregnant to drag boys up to the mountains to find the real snow.  This year though, they could sled to school if they wanted.  We've been hit with storm after storm and then only cold in between so none of it melts.  Our driveway now has snow as high as my waist on both sides.  
The storm that brought us the most snow was actually a blizzard the National Weather Service named "Gandalf the White".  Who knew they named blizzards?  But it was appropriate.  We mostly hung out at home but Barbara and Oscar came by to enjoy our backyard.

I love this action shot.
Look at that- up to her knees, and we got another foot after that.
When she opened the gate you could really see the accumulation.

After 2 days of avoiding it, I finally got the kids all dressed up and took them out to play.
They're pretty darn cute.
Unfortunately the side of Grams house wasn't packed down very well so the sledding was a bust.  The snow was very fluffy and not icy enough to really go fast.
So we gave up and tried to make a snow fort.  But walking in 2 feet of snow is hard if you're just 39 3/4 inches.
Here's Ethan on the pile between our driveways.  No need to build UP the walls, just jump around inside and pack DOWN the middle.
But my littles don't really weigh enough so they mostly just walked around 3 feet in the air.
See?  I'd say that snow is pretty close to as tall as this little chicken.
So in the end all our snow was kind of a bust.  Really I need to just drive them to a sledding hill.  Someday I will.

No comments: