Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ethan's Halloween Parade and Party

When I think back to my elementary school experience I have to admit that I remember a lot more from PE and art and recess than I do from actual class even though I know I spent much more time in class.
So even though I think some of the time in school could be better spent learning, I have to roll my eyes just a little and then smile big because Ethan is SO excited for these fun activities. And really in the end this is what he'll remember. And luckily he's learning everything he needs to along the way so what's a wasted day or two here or there.
Because Halloween was a Monday and the school didn't want the whole week to be tainted, they elected to move all Halloween festivities to the previous week. So on October 27th (there was no school Friday. Why???) we began celebrating Halloween. And didn't stop until it was actually Halloween. This was actually convenient because then I could be at all of Ethan's activities on Thursday and also all of Isaac's on Monday.
So Thursday Miles and I joined Ethan at school for their costume parade. Ethan wanted to be a Jedi last year and I balked at the prices. This year since I wasn't making any costumes and since Miles and Isaac were both excited to wear Ethan's old costumes (yeah for hand-me-downs they actually like and I don't have to pay for :) I decided he could buy a jedi costume and bizarrely it was half the price of last year so yeah! No mask or gun or light saber at school of course though.

Here's his whole class with Senora Foulke as I have no idea what. Look how fabulous her room is though. So much to learn, so much going on!

And since I've gone overboard on volunteering I couldn't resist helping with the party. I made up a quick Halloween Spanish Bingo game with words like Dulce and Morcielago (candy and bat) and gave them all M&M's for markers. Then we played and played and switched groups and generally made a mess of the classroom and had a great time.

I jumped up for a second to snap a few of the other activities. Here they're making some kind of a necklace.

And of course no Halloween party is complete without dry ice in a cauldron.

And a matching game.

And somewhere else they were making clay fingers and the another one was wrapping themselves as mummies using toilet paper (not sure which crazy mom thought that wouldn't be chaos and very messy).

All in all a very fun morning- Miles came along and was generally crabby but since he was strapped into his stroller and the room was pretty loud it didn't matter.

A bit of craziness but fun to be a part of all of it!

No comments: