Friday, February 12, 2010

C is for Cookie

When I woke up at 5:45 to nurse Miles yesterday morning and heard the crazy wind blowing something around outside I thought... Uh-oh. Snow. And sure enough there was the white stuff. Although it was forecasted to be mostly sunny Thursday, it was indeed snowing and continued to snow most of the day. When it's overcast and snowing our house stays fairly cold. We have this great window/sun room that gets nice and toasty when it's sunny but when it's not sunny it's literally 6 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. Which is cold. For me. And since this is where all the toys and our couches are, it definitely affects my day.
So I decided to warm the house up by baking cookies instead. You can see Miles was very helpful.
At least he was entertaining. He was just SURE that he could get that cookie cutter to fit somehow.
Isaac (thankfully) didn't want to help. Things get messy with flour and sugar and a 2 year old. Playdough was a great distraction.
And there were nice flowers from my sweet husband to enjoy (even though we agreed to not get each other anything for Valentines Day- cheater!).
And even though it took me all day to make the dough, bake them, and then frost them after the kids were in bed, they sure do look yummy.
Yummy enough to make one child refuse to eat his breakfast. Yummy enough to say "cookie" 44 times in a row in the time it took me to drive Ethan halfway to preschool this morning (which is like 4 minutes total). Imagine all the ways you could beg for a cookie as a 2 year old. Cookie in a plea. Cookie in a command. Cookie screaming. Cookie crying. Cookie in a long drawn out "I'm going to die without it" sob. 44 times! Trust me. I counted.
So when we got home Isaac climbed back up in his chair, wolfed down the rest of his cereal (since that was the only requirement in the first place for earning a cookie) and then savored his soft, pink, heart-shaped cookie. And he's been an angel the rest of the day.
Of course he refused to open his eyes for a picture of him eating the cookie. Guess I can't have it all.

No comments: