Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Grandparent Biographies

In 2008 I was called to be our ward's family history consultant.  I will admit I thought that was about the worst calling you could give a mother of 2 little boys.  It turned out to be the best thing for me.  I had an excuse to get out of the house once a week and talk to adults and in serving others and helping them to learn, I learned myself and I fell in love with family history.  The DC family history library had just put in a recording booth for patrons to record themselves and their histories orally.  I realized from working there that a lot of my family's histories are recorded but their stories are not.  
And since all 4 of my grandparents and still living and since I have a fabulous husband that was willing to take over the job of mommy for a week, I flew down to Florida to spend 3 days with each set- interviewing them, recording their stories, and collecting pictures with the end goal of publishing their biographies to give to family members.
The first 3 days I spent with my dad's parents:  Dave and Mary Kitchen.  It was delightful and I learned so much from them!


And the next 3 days I spent with my mom's parents: Betty and Darryl Wade.

This is a picture of my grandpa wading out into the river to be baptized.  How amazing is that?


No comments: