Sunday, January 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Isaac- Wed Dec 24th

Taylor and his dad decided to go golfing Wednesday morning which gave the boys and I a nice chance to just relax around the house. There was a huge backyard ringed by palm trees that Ethan was overjoyed with. Baseball, soccer, golf. Who cares! Any game with a ball is great- let's face it, anything is great that's not on an airplane! Isaac spent most of the time trying to walk up and down the yard which had a slight slope. It was quite entertaining to watch him try to balance with his chest puffed out like a peacock. Poor thing tipped over so many times. Maybe that's evil of me to admit but it really was funny to watch his determination.
It was also Isaac's birthday of course so I had to bake him a cake. At Ethan's first birthday he wouldn't eat cake or frosting or anything with sugar- even fruit- so I ended up baking him a cornbread muffin cupcake and frosting it with squeezy cheese just so I could get some messy-faced pictures. Isaac has no such aversion to sugar. Should I be thankful for this? Anyways, I am. Bad mother again for the second time in one blog post. So I was excited to get to bake Isaac his first little cake. And then we were in Portugal for the blessed day and this is all I could find in the store:
Yes, that would be directions for baking a cake in PORTUGUESE! Which tragically I do not speak or read. So after much agonizing and a few guesses, we ended up with something that looked like a cake but smelled and tasted... a little different. Isaac did eat some of it but was less than impressed, hence no messy-face pictures. Seems I'm forced to have at least one more child in my pursuit of authentic first birthday messy-face pictures.
Happy face- just no messy face.It did look good though.
The day was rounded out by Taylor's mom Sonia, brother Mack, and Mack's girlfriend Sam arriving to make us a party of 10. Sonia brought Hannukah presents so everyone got toothbrushes. Woohoo! Ethan was actually in love with his because it had Thomas the train engine on it AND it played Thomas train songs for 2 minutes in an attempt to get you to brush for that long. Ethan was happy to listen without brushing, somehow more of a distraction than an encouragement.
And since Ethan is finally old enough to sort-of understand who Santa is, we left cookies and milk out for him.

No comments: