Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception

Whoo- I hope I got that whole thing right. Since coming back to DC, we've been trying to complete our list of "things to do before we go back west permanently". So one sunny morning we drove up to NE DC where this cathedral is. It was completely amazing and awe inspiring. Two years ago when we were in France we spent a considerable amount of time touring all the cathedrals. This one was very similar except it's new enough that you can actually see all the paintings really well and it's not completely dark inside.

It's huge! And amazingly, not that many tourists or patrons- it was a Saturday.
All the paintings amaze me and make me wish our churches had more decoration. It would be much more entertaining- sometimes! Plus I think beauty can be inspiring and bring the spirit.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Thanks for sharing the great pictures! DC is on our list to visit and so is Niagara Falls. I think we will have to plan our trip to DC before you move :)