Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sarah's Cake Class 101

Every summer I get frustrated because I feel my social life has ended because all our friends are back in DC. I also lose my weekly night away from home (in DC I volunteer at the Family History Center) and so I go a little stir crazy. So one day this summer I was in Michaels looking around and noticed that they offer a beginners cake class. It was only like $15 so I jumped at the chance to have a few nights away. Taylor graciously agreed to take over for me and his mom also helped out when he got stuck at work. It was so nice to be doing something creative and I actually had a lot of fun. I aspire to be Chef Duff on Ace of Cakes. So here's my feable attempts at cake decorating for now.
The first cake- made in honor of my sister Kristina's birthday.
Second attempt- we were forced to do this pattern. I actually really liked doing the flowers.
So if you ever need a cutesy cake, let me know. They're lots of fun to make- and now that I know what goes into the icing, I will never eat it again so I need someone else to take the cake away so I can continue making them :)

6 comments:

Nikki said...

What a great looking cake.! I need to take me a class of something. Anything for a night away.

Kristina said...

Chef Duff? I don't think you swear enough or are bald enough to be him, although he does make some pretty amazing cakes. I will be expecting a to-scale bust of my head next year for my birthday. I'm sure human forms will be included in level II of your class next summer! Thanks again for the cake, I knew there was wisdom in skipping the icing all those years!

Jamie said...

Wow great job on the cakes you're a natural!

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

Awesome, Sarah! What a great idea, you cake is beautiful and I love your artistic pictures! You are so talented! You'll have to tell me all about the class!

Allison said...

so what is in the frosting?

MamaLove said...

oh man really what a beautiful cake!! Tell me the secret for reals i wanna make a cake for John's birthday and if you can give some pointers please...also did you get the long time mailing package!
hugs
Muriel