Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ogden Dinosaur Park

As I said in an earlier blog, Ethan has become completely enamored with Dinosaurs this year. He has a little dino matching game and has amazed us all by being able to point out the "Protoceratops" and "Albertosaurus" and others. It's crazy he already knows more than me!
So when I heard that there was a dinosaur park in Utah with lifesize dinos I knew I had to take him. We waited for a cloudy day in the 80's and then drove up to Ogden to check it out. It was amazing- especially for Ethan who actually thought they were real.

Yes, that's Ethan so small next to the Brontosaurus.
He was so excited to see all the dinosaurs that he grabbed the map out of my hand and started leading me around to the ones he wanted to see first.
Isaac was not so enthralled with the dinosaurs but he enjoyed the lack of sun and lounging in his stroller.
This Anklyosaurus was Ethan's favorite so of course it was first on the list.
The park is actually really neat. It's tucked in next to the mountains and they've kept the natural vegetation so it's a nice walk through the woods until suddenly you come upon a dinosaur. There are upwards of a hundred or so too so there's lots to see. I did wish they had some information written about the dinos on their plaques instead of just their names. They also have several playgrounds intersperced in the park so Ethan and Isaac stopped and played and then we continued on.
The downside (or upside I guess if you have teenage boys) is that there are lots of scary dinosaurs. Ethan refused to stand in front of this one for a picture. He actually ran around it just so he wouldn't be in it's path.
This one especially scared him because there were sound boxes hidden in the woods that turned on randomly and blared scary velociraptor sounds. I'm not sure he ever really believed me that they aren't real and couldn't get him but he hasn't had nightmares since and he really did have a great time!

No comments: