Saturday, August 30, 2008

Ahh... bridge reconstruction

In case you were wondering if your city was the only one that felt it was necessary to redo every bridge in town because they really are all too old and unstable, let me be the first to tell you that every single city in the country has had that epiphany. I know! I drove through all the construction on I-80 and I-70 and I-15 and even I-95 going to and from Utah this summer. Very annoying!
The only real reason for this blog was because I just had to post about the way Utah has chosen to redo their bridges. Usually they disrupt a lot of traffic by ripping out one side of the bridge and rebuilding it while everyone is forced to squeeze onto just one side. Instead, Salt Lake City found a crazy new way.
They build bridges to no where on the side of the road... and then use a train-thingy to move the bridge into place. Here's a bridge they've just started on the side of the road.
See, literally on the side of the road.
And here's another one that's almost finished.
And you see how close they build them to the actual bridge that will be torn down. So then they close the road for 3 days, blow up the old bridge, move the new one into place, and cement in all the supports. Crazy! It was actually great though because they were literally redoing 10+ bridges in Salt Lake this summer and we never once had backed up traffic because of it!

No comments: