Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My First Time Shooting a Gun

Ok, so I know I don't post very often, but I just had to post this one.

I had an absolutely surreal experience Monday and Tuesday in Montana at the most amazing ranch I've ever seen. At dinner, someone brought up the fact that they had an AK-47 semi-automatic assault rifle among their collection of guns. I said that I'd never shot a gun before, so our host, Ryan Miller, suggested we go out shooting the next morning.


I have no idea how anyone holds these things steady after the first shot. Whenever I would squeeze off more than one round at a time, I had no accuracy.

We were shooting at a stump on the opposite side of this huge lake. The trick was to hit directly in front of the stump so that you could see a splash. I had a number of great shots, and a number of not so great ones. My advice, if you have to experience shooting a gun for the first time, an AK-47 is a good pick.

3 comments:

treen said...

I shot lots of guns in Montana, but never an AK-47 - dang!! Pretty fun, huh?!?!

Dave and Shandie said...

I think it's funny how east side we are and how foreign guns are for us. I did, however, get a chance to shoot Mark Hofeling's AK-47 when I was 19.

Lindi said...

You don't know how happy Ryan is going to be about this post. He is dying for a gun buddy.