Friday, May 6, 2016

Teacher Appreciation at William Penn

I've been working in the PTA the past 5 years and have always been pretty happy with helping out and fulfilling my jobs.  This year I agreed to do the same job as the previous year.  Unfortunately the PTA president neglected to find people to do some of the jobs I was supposed to just be overseeing.  So in the end it became my work, and last minute as we were told those people were in place but really they weren't.  
So Teacher Appreciation week got thrown together last minute and was a TON of work without timely planning and a committee to help.  
Need to decorate the teacher doors?  A simple superhero cape that we had the kids write thank you notes on during a lunch recess.
Posters I made at home (all ideas stolen off Pinterest)
Capes from the dollar store with iron on teacher apples and their names.  These ended up being their own fiasco which I wasn't expecting.  We do brunches and lunches and treats every day of the week and include all the teachers and staff at the school, even the little gifts in their mail boxes.  Then on Friday we have an assembly to celebrate the just the teachers.  That's never been a problem before but this year one of the Resource teachers noticed the capes I was putting into JUST the teachers boxes and threw a little hissy fit talking to the principal and secretaries and PTA president and every single parent volunteer to tell them how upset she was that she wasn't as valued as the teachers were.  And unfortunately even if I'd wanted to make her one (which I couldn't as the dollar store was out of capes and it would have taken me 3 trips to 3 different stores to get capes, and more iron ons, and more ink just to make one for the whiney lady) I couldn't and was not going to do one more thing for this week that consumed my life for 3 weeks.
Teacher (and staff) mailbox treats.
Truthfully I was pretty exhausted and frustrated by Friday.  One other mom and I had pulled this all together in just 2 weeks and then were the only ones buying/preparing food, setting it up, cleaning it up (daily mind you), buying little gift, packaging them, putting them in mailboxes, decorating teacher doors, making and hanging posters, making and sending out flyers, getting trophies and gift cards, buying and printing and ironing and packaging capes.  And we did the assembly Friday solo too.  I was pretty frustrated but then we had the assembly and it was THE BEST.  Honestly almost cried.  It was so touching to see these wonderful teachers being celebrated and these sweet children loving them.  I am truly blessed to send my kids to a school with good teachers who work hard to not only educate them academically but to also mold them into the good little people they're becoming.  And they LOVE their teachers.  I'm really glad I got to see that!

See?  How fun are these super hero teachers.  They really are superheroes to me and my kids.







I mean how to you top this?  The whole class on their feet and trying to hug her?  Melts my heart.  And even though I will not be agreeing to do all this work again next year, I am glad that I did it this year so that these teachers could feel a little more appreciated.

No comments: