Saturday, May 21, 2016

Isla's birthday party

Ok so I've been throwing kids birthday parties for it seems like forever.  But I've only gotten to throw girls parties with Isla.  So when she fell in love with a spy/crime fighting show and declared that's what she wanted for her birthday party, I about dies.  I mean really?  I've done that a million times.  But I've never done a princess party.   So after many weeks of trying to convince her I finally hit upon that she'd really just like to dance.  How to make that princess?  
Hold a Royal Ball!!!
So we did.  And of course these are the invitations you need for a Royal Ball even if they're a whole lot of work.
Isla helped me.  See?  Definitely worth the effort.

Isla did not want a cake even after showing her hundreds of castles and other princess cakes on Pinterest.  But she did fall in love with princess cupcakes so that was easy if not the huge castle I had in mind.  Luckily she has this many of those little plastic Disney princess dolls so it worked great.
Who knew it would be so much work to tint the frosting so many colors and use so many different icing tips.  Still easier than a fondant castle however.
And I couldn't resist decorating a little over the top.
First stop for the guests- you need jewelry to attend a ball.



And we need a castle to play in.  Luckily I've got one of those stashed away that I made for Isaac's birthday way back when.
And even luckier, we have a professional dance instructor that lives right next door and her name is Grams!  Ballet minor in college counts right?  She was so excited to come teach the girls a routine she'd prepared and it was super cute to watch them all.



Setting up the food while they dance.

Then it was time for the show.  Grams said she'd teach them a dance as long as I set up some kind of a stage to make it more magical for them.  Turned out pretty great I think- and super easy with dollar store table cloths.
That's a pretty happy 4 year old birthday girl.

Aria was staying with us for the weekend and was a little unsure of all these other princesses in the house but she was pretty happy to sit with Grams.


And I have to say just how different this was from my boy's birthday party.  Miles last party was Minecraft and there was SO much screaming and running.  It was actually silent for large stretches during Isla's party.  They were happy to eat quietly.  Happy to add stickers and jewels to their crowns and string beads onto necklaces.  It was kind of bizarre how quiet it was.

 A few more of them dancing because it was so cute.








Happy Birthday Isla!  You will always be our little dancing princess!

No comments: