Monday, March 5, 2012

Grandma Tina and NYC

When we first moved back to Salt Lake and Taylor started traveling a lot, he tried to convince me that we should get a Delta Skymiles card so he could have the card perks every time he travels. Unfortunately for him I disagree with paying an annual fee when there are so many other cards who actually pay you to use them.
But after seeing how much he traveled and after hearing him give me the speech several times I finally relented. So he gets free bags, free upgrades to 1st class (about half the time), he gets to skip to the front of the security line (and in Salt Lake he doesn't even go through normal security), he gets to go in the Delta lounge and have free wi-fi and an office to use and all the snacks he can eat, priority boarding. I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them. And the last benefit is that each year he gets a free companion ticket. This is actually what sold me on the whole card. I figure the card's annual fee is covered by us taking one trip together a year and not having to pay for one of us to fly. Plus a forced trip each year with just the 2 of us is good for our marriage. That's my rationalization anyways.
So this year we squeaked our trip in between renovations and the baby being born. My mom flew out to watch our kids which made leaving them super easy. See they don't even need us around- they're already more interested in her than in us.
Of course when you make all their favorite meals and take them to sled with the cousins you can't go wrong.
We left on a Wednesday afternoon and flew into NYC. We stayed with Taylor
brother and fiance to balance out the cost of the trip. Then we had 4 days to visit sights and friends and eat, eat, eat because apparently that's what you do when you go to NYC. Seriously, when we'd ask our friends what we should do or visit, the answer was always another bakery or another restaurant. And they were right of course. The food their is scrumptious!
On my personal visiting list was a visit to The Cake Boss shop in Hoboken, NJ. Just a quick train ride across the river and a 5 minute walks brings you to heaven.
Must remember this cake for Ethan's b-day. He LOVES mario and the vintage is just too cute.
This is the one prego shot I allowed. I had forgotten how exhausting NYC is. So many stairs and so much walking. Next time I'll be glad not to be pregnant.
Taylor was happy to be in the photos for me.
And while I was feeling good the first day I took lots of pictures. Don't worry, I gave up pretty quick.
Taylor's cousin suggested we visit a few of the lesser-known museums so we hit of the American Bible Society's museum and the Tenement museum. Both of which were amazingly interesting and well worth going to see. Here are some of the bibles from the Civil War.
This one on the left even had a tin-type inside it of the soldier who was killed. The tenement museum didn't allow photography but it was fascinating to see how people actually lived in NYC at the turn of the century and all the trials they endured to survive. I am VERY thankful to live now!
And no trip to NYC would be complete without going to the regular museums- we hit up the Natural History Museum and the Museum of Art.

Breathtaking to see all the beautiful works of art.
We met up with several of our friends from GW law school and GW undergrad as well as Taylor's cousins and then again his brother and fiance. So fun to see everyone and to take a break from all the walking. Taylor's brother took us to this great restaurant under the Brooklyn Bridge.
Next time we bring the kids back hopefully the new Brookly Carousel park will be open.
We had a fabulous trip and it was SO nice to be without the kids. So much easier to fly, to get around on the subway, to eat at restaurants, and to go to see things. Luckily they didn't miss up one bit while we were gone (okay so Miles might have missed us a little but he might have missed his nap even more everyday since they were off doing so many fun things!). Can't wait for next year and I'm happy Taylor talked me into a tradition that benefits him almost weekly and benefits me and our marriage each year!

No comments: