Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Another PINK Baby Shower

One funny fact you may not know about me: I have 3 little boys but I've only ever had a pink baby shower. And now- I've had 2 pink baby showers! Thankfully this baby WILL be a girl and WILL get to wear all the adorable clothes and shoes I got.
When my neighbor said she wanted to throw me a girl shower, she asked if I'd bring along the pink outfit I'd told her about . So here's the story for posterity. When I was pregnant with Ethan, Taylor and I worked every Thursday night in the Washington DC temple as ordinance workers. There were a few other young people but mostly just older couples that worked there. And one night when I was very visibly pregnant, one of the other ladies on my shift brought me a gift and a story to go with it. Her very elderly mother had died recently and in cleaning out her home, she found this beautiful crocheted sweater and bonnet in a hope chest. She assumed that she was the only baby to ever wear them since she'd been the only girl in her family. She also assumed that her mother had been saving it to give to a descendant but unfortunately she'd only had sons and her sons had all only had sons. There were literally no girls for 2 generations. So this cute old temple worker gave me this beautiful, antique sweater and bonnet that she'd worn 60+ years ago and told me with a wink and a smile that she hoped now the curse of no girls would be broken from her family.
I was a little overwhelmed because it was a family heirloom and because it was such a beautiful outfit but I was excited to put it on my own little "Olivia". Unfortunately ETHAN was born and the pink outfit was forgotten until much later and the temple worker had moved on by then.
So it's been carefully folded in a box in a closet for the past 7 years just waiting for an actual girl to put it on. And hopefully in another 2 months it will ACTUALLY happen!!!
So I attended by second pink baby shower put on by my amazing next door neighbor who has 5 boys of her own and was so excited to do something pink. How cute is she? See the table cloth? She wanted to make a little flag garland and couldn't find paper to match so she color photocopied the tablecloth and printed off exact copies. Have you ever heard of that? I thought it was genius! and adorable!

They literally stole my camera out of my hands and pushed me into taking a picture- which is fine since really this is probably one of the only prego shots I've ever had. So fine, there's one, now we're done forever.
So fun to be pampered and to get cute pink clothes. I CANNOT wait to use them!!!

1 comment:

Tiana said...

You are looking fabulous! It sounds like we are having our babies around the same time and we will have the outcome: 3 boys, 1 girl. It gives us even more of an excuse to pamper our princess because she is the only one! I hope you survive this last month and have a fabulous delivery.

p.s. How long will you be in DC?