Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Long Time No Post

Sorry about that. Let's just say life has gotten overly busy here. After the week of sickies we flew for a week-long reunion with my family in the backwoods of Pennsylvania. The highlights included 11 grandkids under age 8, 2 nursing mothers, 2 pregnant mothers (7 1/2 and 6 1/2 months), 9 other adults, 2 mice and only 5 bedrooms. Needless to say a little chaos. I promise more detailed stories once we find our camera cord but just to give you something to water your mouth... Isaac slept UNDER his pack and play and spent the whole week drop-kicking EVERYTHING. Seriously EVERYTHING. Ethan had his first white-water rafting trip and also learned to sing the most annoying song in the world (thanks Nathan).
It was really weird coming back to Utah since for the past 5 summers we have left Utah the middle of August, attended my family reunion somewhere back east and then gone back to school at GW. For whatever reason I've been going through packing/cleaning withdrawal the last week and have been taking it out on our house here. Honestly. We got back late Sunday night and Monday as I was doing the laundry I couldn't stop myself from tearing the house apart room by room because one thing needed fixing and I might as well pull everthing out to deep clean and reorganize our stuff. It's still not all put back together but it's getting there. Taylor's had a good laugh. I even got all frustrated that I didn't know exactly what number and size of baby clothes I have so I made up a notebook and spent a day detailing every piece of boys clothes size newborn on up to 4T. Even I will admit that's bordering on obsessive compulsive. Blame it on my nesting instincts.
Ethan started preschool Monday and I've been working on getting all the last boxes unpacked and the last errands run before the baby comes. Tragically lots of things I've been procrastinating and for good reason. I spent this morning at the Utah DMV trying to get a new license (might I add that I love having my picture taken while I'm 8 months pregnant and I get to keep it and carry it around with me for the next 10 years). The highlight of that experience was having to take a written exam (seriously I've had a drivers license for over 15 years and had different licenses in Illinois, New York, Maryland, and DC and only ever had to take a written exam when I was 16 but I guess driving in Utah is much more intense so I need to prove I know everything still) with Isaac next to me in his stroller throwing his toys out the whole time and babbling to himself while I tried to breath through my mouth so I wouldn't smell the guy next to me who had not had a shower in several days and then being told by the proctor that I'd have to leave if I couldn't keep my child quiet because his babbling was distracting others. REALLY? His babbling is distracting? Let's talk about distracting to a pregnant woman.
Shall I reveal some of the enlightening and very worthwhile questions I had to answer? Maybe just 2 for your enjoyment. 1. Must a person hold a valid Utah license to drive a tractor on a Utah road or highway? Surprisingly- the answer is no! And my all time favorite for must-know-information-so-you-can-be-a-safe-driver-in-Utah.... 2. During what time of day do most accidents occur on the road? Taylor guessed wrong although his answer of evening makes a lot a sense with rush hour and people out partying- wait this is Utah. Answer: 2-5pm. Amazingly I got a perfect score- of course I should mention that it was open book and I know how to read. So that adventure was not the highlight of my day but finding a grocery store with free daycare was. Can we say fabulous? I got to shop in peace without having to listen to anyone beg for anything and didn't have to pick up one single thing that Isaac grabbed from behind him and threw out while laughing. And they got to play with toys and get a sticker when I picked them up. Yeah for some parts of Utah at least.
More stories and pictures to come.

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Yes I remember having to take the open book written test when I got a license in Utah. The best was that the answer sheet they gave me had been used on the other side. Hope you are feeling good!

Nikki said...

Oh PS. I am curious to know what the annoying song is, is it the Chickory chick song. My kids won't stop singing that one.

Erica said...

I laughed so hard while reading this! You are too funny. I feel strange not going back to DC to... Atleast you are in a house and not your in-laws basement!!
(PS. The notebook and going through clothes is totally something I would do!)

Kim said...

A grocery store with free daycare? Where?!

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

yay, an update! That is so funny about the driver's licence test! Awesome job! I'm so jealous about the free daycare in the grocery store...