Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentines Day 2013

Sorry that Valentines post has been sitting there for months now.  I'm just getting around to post dating and updating the blog.  We're busy living life here!  And it's great!
When I was in Elementary school I loved all the extra parties and events that made school fun.  I'm grateful both Ethan and Isaac are getting a great education that will prepare them for productive lives, but I'm also really glad there's some fun activities thrown in so their school lives aren't the same day after day.  We all like a good party.  In Elementary school I remember very vividly being envious of the other kids who brought in "cool" valentine boxes.  My mother, bless her heart, is fabulous, but not very crafty.  I swore I'd be different.  So when Ethan came home and said his teacher said they could bring in their own box (this was a first- in all previous grades they made them in class) I jumped on the chance to make a cool box.  Literally!  We spent the next 2 hours building these guys.  And a quick search of pinterest yielded the perfect project.  
Calling all minions!  
Ethan wanted one holding a banana and singing the ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-bana song.  If you've never heard it, it's worth youtubing minion banana song.  Isaac's has a "bapple".  And really they were pretty simple- shoe box, yellow paper, cut and glue some colored paper and add a little foil to the eyes.  The cards go in their mouths.
And this year I helped at Ethan's class Valentine day party.  There's Ethan dressed very festivally in red.
And Isla came along to join the party although she mostly was happy to chill in her carseat and nosh on toys.
There were several activities put on by parent groups.  He got to make a tootsie pop butterfly.
And then this was my little game area.  Don't you love the back of Ethan's classroom?  It's actually the old are room and so has painted murals on all the walls.  It's actually built to be an ampitheater so all the desks are on the steps.
We played a few minute-to-win-it games.  First up:  see how many m&m's you can suck up with a straw and deposit in the other cup in 1 minute.
Then see how many conversation hearts you can pick up and move with chopsticks.


And finally can you make a fuzz ball stick on your nose with vaseline?

And the always popular get a cookie from your forehead to your mouth without your hands.

He played pictionary.
And some other game I'm not sure about.
And then there were treats and valentines to pass out.  See, it's a pretty cool box.  I'm a good mother :)
I aspire to be more creative in the future with meals but I did manage to remember red juice for dinner and heart shaped marshmallows for dessert.  I got each of the kids dollar store monkeys for their valentine.  Who knew they'd be such a hit?  Miles wore his around for weeks.
So cute with a monkey on his back.
And Taylor, who knows me well, got me flowers that would live a long time and brighten my days.

No comments: